General health can be considered a blanket term, but when it comes to your oral health, general dentistry is more important than any other type of dental practice. This is for the very simple reason that general dentistry is aimed at preventing oral disease.
What Is General Dentistry?
General dentistry may sound like the common day-to-day practices, but while a general dentist will give you an examination of your mouth, a professional cleaning, and also speak to you about your dental health, general dentistry covers a lot more than this. General dentistry focuses on a wide range of services that will help you focus on continued oral health. These can range from preventative services, such as taking x-rays or professional teeth cleanings, all the way through to restorative services, such as fixing dentures or crowns, as well as cosmetic procedures, and can also help you with your overall health concerns.
What Are the Benefits of General Dentistry in Silver Springs?
General dentistry provides a wide array of benefits to any patient:
- A thorough evaluation of your mouth, including your teeth, gums, and tissues around your mouth. A general dentist can look for bacteria build-up and can give you the advice to maintain your oral hygiene.
- General dentistry can help to prevent significant complications, such as oral infections and even cancers.
- Using general dentistry techniques can help a professional to detect infections or cavities at the earliest possible stages, and can potentially reverse any potential infections, especially when it comes to gingivitis or cavities.
- General dentistry helps to restore a tooth, especially if an infection cannot be reversed. Dental fillings are one of many ways to restore teeth back to their former glory.
What Are the Procedures of General Dentistry?
General dentistry falls into a few distinct categories:
- Preventative services. These are the types of services to help you maintain good oral health. Preventative services include regular exams and diagnostic images. They may also give you treatment, such as a sealant, and may fit you with a custom-made mouth guard if you lead an active lifestyle.
- Cosmetic procedures, which can include cosmetic bonding, teeth whitening, or veneers, which are some of the key components of general dentistry. For individuals who are concerned with the color of their teeth or their smile, cosmetic procedures are integral.
- Restorative services. These include removing tooth decay and placing a filling in the tooth. There are also practices that can diagnose and treat the causes of tooth pain. In addition to this, there are advanced treatments such as orthodontics, dental implants, and root canal therapy.
- General health concerns, which can include advice from your dentist. It’s important to remember that the mouth can be the window to a multitude of health problems. For example, something like untreated oral infections can result in poor control of diabetes. Dentists are trained to recognize these issues and offer guidance or treatment when necessary.
General dentistry is the cornerstone of great oral health, and here at Ashley Dental Center, we provide general dentistry services to the people of Silver Springs, Maryland. If you are looking for a general dentistry provider in Silver Springs to give you the help you need, get in touch.